Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Edible Photo Props for Boys!

 
Let's face it, Valentine's just doesn't get any sweeter than this!
 
Sheep and I came up with this darling edible photo prop idea while making lip-shaped cookies for her classroom, and knew we would need something for the boys as well.  Our lips were made with a delicious strawberry cookie recipe and what goes better with strawberries than chocolate?!
 
After some serious search time, I settled on a chocolate cutout cookie recipe from King Arthur Flour, but put my own spin on it because (as usual) time was of the essence and I didn't have all the ingredients it called for on hand.  You can check out the original version here and here's the version I used as well.  They are delicious I might add!
 
Chocolate Moustache Cutout Cookies
 
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 2 1/4 cups flour

  • Mix dry ingredients together in seperate bowl.  Cream butter and sugar.  Add egg and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients.  Chill dough.  Roll to 1/4-1/2" thickness for moustache cutouts.  Insert stick before baking.  Makes about 18 4" cookies.  Bake ay 375 degrees for 8 minutes.  Cool on pan for several minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

    Since this idea was hatched, I have been on the hunt for a moustache cookie cutter locally (again, no time), but my clever sister suggested that I just cut out the lips and use the bottom to take off a small piece to form a moustache instead.  What can I say, it runs in the family!!


    Anyway, that's what I did!

     
    Voila!
     
     
    Trying to get a picture of the finished product proved a bit tricky, as my model was more interested in licking, kissing and nibbling the props!
     
     
     
     
    Oui, oui my little 'nekked' chef!  I supposed this would be your favorite holiday!
    Let's just say, it's a good thing I made extra!
    And I ended up with one that I could work with . . .
     
     
    and turn into the cutest card EVER too!
     
     
    Happy Valentine's Day Y'all!
     
    Sharing this Sassy Idea @ Sunday Showcase, Mop It Up Mondays, Meet Me Monday, Made by You Monday, Debbie Doo's Newbie Party, What's In the Gunny Sack, Take-A-Look Tuesday, Tuesday Tutorial, Wow Us Wednesdays, {Wow Me} Wednesday @ Gingersnap Crafts, Cowgirl Up, Whimsy Wednesdays, Pin It Wednesday, Show and Share, Overflowing with Creativity, Creative Me, Made U Look, It's a Hodgepodge Friday, Saturday Show & Tell, Weekend Showoff Party, Pin It Party @ Debbie Doo's, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Tatertots & Jello
     

    2 comments:

    1. Replies
      1. Thanks so much and thanks for stopping by! Hope you will follow me for more yummy fun!

        Have a great weekend!

        Delete